Celebrate the love you share with your spouse to be!
We have two ministers who are able to officiate weddings at the church and at other locations upon meeting with the Ministers.
We hope the following information will be helpful as you plan your wedding. Please contact us to make an appointment or receive other information!
Do I have to be a member of Knox United Church to be married there?
No, you don't need to be a member in order to be married here. We hope that once you enter our beautiful sanctuary, you may well feel inspired to explore our community life more deeply. We suggest you attend a service or two to experience the preaching, music, and people.
Do I have to be a Christian to be married at Knox United Church?
No, we marry people of all faith traditions. We provide traditional Christian wedding services, but also offer services with a more contemporary flavour that honour the personalities and life experiences of the couple.
The United Church of Canada has adopted the following affirmations about legal marriage:
- We affirm that marriage is a gift of God through which Christians make a covenant with one another and with God.
- We affirm that in Christian marriage two people, regardless of age, culture, gender, race, or sexual orientation, give themselves to each other in the full intention of a lifelong commitment.
- We affirm that this unity is a creation of God and is greater than the two individuals.
I want to know more!
1.Contact our Office Administrator with required info and any questions.
2. You will then meet with a minister and the wedding will be confirmed.
3. A contract will be issued and a non-refundable deposit secured.
Let us be part of your time for celebrating new life and becoming part of the universal church.
What is Baptism?
Baptism is a symbolic action that signifies the new life God gives us as we join the church community. Baptism uses water as a symbolic cleansing that signifies the acceptance of new life within the church family. The sacrament of baptism is the single rite of initiation into the Christian community, the church.
The United Church offers baptism to all ages. We believe the gift of God's love doesn't depend on our ability to understand it, so we baptize people as infants right up through adulthood. With children, instruction is given to parents or sponsors to equip them for the child's Christian nurture. During the ceremony, which usually takes place as part of a regular worship service, everyone in the congregation pledges support for the child and their parents.
Baptism is not a requirement for God's love. We believe people who die without baptism are in no way condemned, lost, or damned.
Baptism in the United Church is recognized by all denominations of the Christian church that practise infant baptism.
How do I arrange a baptism?
The first step is to contact our office and then meet with one of our ministers. They will review the significance of baptism for you or your child. Through baptism, a person is welcomed into the Christian faith and develops a relationship with a faith community.
Is there a charge for the baptismal ceremony?
No, the baptismal ceremony is free of charge.
What should I expect during the baptism ceremony?
Baptisms normally take place during our regular Sunday 10:00 a.m. service, witnessed by our full congregation. This is important, because during the ceremony, the congregation makes a promise to the person being baptized to support that person in his or her spiritual growth.
The ceremony takes a little more than five minutes, and includes:
- Welcoming to the front of the church during service
- Pouring and blessing of the water
- Asking call and response questions about your faith and promises
- Anointing person with water
- Praying for the newly baptized
- Presenting the newly baptized to the Congregation with candle and certificate
- Fellowship, celebration or luncheon together (optional)
My partner and I are a same-sex couple. Will you baptize our child? Yes, Knox United seeks to be affirming and we welcome all people regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity, cultural, economic, and social background.
In life, in death, in life beyond death, God is with us and we are not alone . . .
Contact us to learn more about how we can journey with you as you say goodbye to a loved one.
Copyright © 2024 Knox United Church Pastoral Charge - All Rights Reserved.